Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Surviving a one-star review


My fourth published book and the second in my historical series, The Last Princess, came out Monday to fanfare: Facebook posts, an email to my newsletter subscribers, a tweet, an Instagram pic...and its first one-star review.

You spend hours, days, years, toiling over your book, and someone is bound to come along and say they didn't like it. Many people say they love reading your work but don't leave reviews; that one person who didn't...they take the time to write a review. Gah, is that frustrating, or what?

It hurt so much, I didn't write more of book 3 that afternoon, even though that had been my plan. Instead, I critiqued several pages for other people. It felt good; it allowed me to think of something else other than my own. After critiquing, I took solace in the fact that at least I got five-star reviews before the one-star came along.

But it still stung so badly. I admit, the review shook my confidence to my core.

I've written poetry and essays most of my professional life. I've always gotten great feedback on Facebook for my poetry. Heck, I've made people cry. But this fiction gig is by far the hardest I've done.

I like to think I can stitch along a good story. I have a good grasp of grammar and spelling. So why can't everyone just love everything that I write, and if they don't, to keep it to themselves? Um, because that isn't realistic? Thing is, by releasing a book to the wide world, without the safety net of "Facebook friend" connection, I am opening myself to criticism. It is an invitation for honest feedback.

Today, having recovered sufficiently from Monday, I planned on writing. Instead, as my first and third Wednesdays usually shape up, I had meetings, emails, and phone calls all day related to city council. (I am a councilwoman. Writing is not for the faint-hearted. Politics, too, but that's for another blog post.)

When my husband came home at four and I had only another free hour to write before a city work meeting, I lamented, "How can I write my bestselling book when I have to do xyz?"

The answer came to me just now. It is this: keep on writing.

It means I can learn from my reviews then square my shoulders. It means I should focus on the good (I got a book out, I finished a manuscript, I got a good review...Yay!) and not dwell on the negative. It means I should put my best work out there and write on despite what other people say.

Monday actually ended on a positive note. My son, who is serving an LDS mission in South Korea, emailed that evening. He wrote, God "has a plan for you, He knows how much good you can do, and He knows how much good you WANT to do. :) Keep on praying, keep on being obedient, and 'all things work together for good to them that love God.' " (Romans 8:28)

Amen.

Jewel Allen is an award-winning journalist, ghostwriter and author. Her latest novel is The Last Princess, set in 1760's Philippines, about an exiled Spanish captain who falls in love with the elusive Last Princess. Visit her at www.JewelAllen.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment