Tuesday, May 30, 2017

A Change of Scenery


Tonight after dinner, I walked over to Port Meadow to watch the sun retire. The same meadow that C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien used to stroll together discussing their fairy tales. That’s right, I’m in Oxford England. Which brings me to my point; a change of scenery is refreshing and stimulating for a writer.

Obviously, we can’t all travel to our ideal writing environs. I am here for the spring term because my husband was granted a research fellow professorship at the Harris Manchester College at Oxford. My one stipulation was that I select our housing. No noisy-above-the-cafĂ©-downtown-Oxford for me! 

I found a renovated-near-ancient-shed on a lazy farm within Oxford city limits. I hadn’t a clue how idyllic it would be for creativity.

In one month I’ve written five children’s stories and more importantly, had a resurgence of pleasure and creativity while doing it. Hooray for the English countryside! Each day I stroll along the River Thames path serenaded by singing birds, squawking ducks, and geese. Ubiquitous Peter Rabbit bunnies and Hobbit shires line the trail.

Living here among the lush green rolling countryside has made me question whether someone got the promised land coordinates confused. Seriously, the worst thing about the English countryside is the stinging nettle. There aren’t even any mosquitoes here! Are you kidding me?

In the U.S. I dodge rattlesnakes, get frostbite, bunker down from tornadoes, worry about earthquakes, and navigate six lane freeways at rush hour.

Here I pedal my bike past ancient buildings, pick up a fresh loaf of walnut date bread from the bakery, a wedge of white cheddar from the cheese shop, and read books in a comfy chair in Blackwells (England’s premier bookstore).

Okay, I’ve made you jealous, I’m sorry. Just wanted to put in a plug for escaping your routine writing hub when possible and take a chance on revitalizing your creativity and pleasure.

Happy writing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment