Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Mother's Memoir





Mother’s Memoir

I suspect many of you will relate when I share with you my astonishment at the power attending me as I write my mother’s story. I feel as though I’m in a whirlwind of miracles which are reshaping me. My motives are transforming. My heart is softening. A new tenderness and compassion for my mother has possession of my heart.

I am confident God is pleased and supportive when we undertake to strengthen family ties, even if by accident. I never intended to write my mother’s story. It was my story I wanted to write. But upon learning that a million words need to flow from our pens before our writing is worthy of publication, I put my memoir on hold and took up a ‘less meaningful’ endeavor, one which might contribute to the backstory of my own.

It was then the winds began to swirl. Photos, family films, and journals my family thought were lost to decades of Air Force travel and neglect mysteriously found their way to my doorstep.

Just last week, my husband was doing a book signing in Hawaii and a woman approached him, “Remember me? I was in your class in Colorado over two decades ago. I’m on a mission here in Hawaii. Your wife’s parents got married in France and were stationed there with my parents. Here, I copied a film my dad took of your wife’s parents picnicking.”

Dozens of insights, impressions, and spiritual encounters have sprinkled my journey. There isn’t the space to articulate the whole of my experience over the last several months so I attempted encapsulation in a poem.

FAIR WARNING: I avow no knowledge of technical poetic construction. I admit only to honest emotional expression.


She Gave It All Up for Me 


I wanted to write my memoir
An outlet for grief and pain
But learned, ‘a million words be penned
Before it could get gain'

My story won’t be writing junk,
Another one I’ll find”
And so I began my mother’s tale
Naive of the treasures entwined

The Lord began His mighty work
Enlisting family there
To open minds and soften hearts
A grander view to share

Phone calls, interviews, memories combed
Trust grew and hearts were won
Truth emerged, the shock sublime,
“I’m not the cheated one”

My pain but draught before her own
How could I have been so blind?
The person I accused for years
Indeed was the one most kind

My softened heart allowed the thought
That perhaps before we came
We previewed the conditions here
And she chose all the blame

She mended the fence that others broke
That we could all be free
To have the joys she went without
She gave it all up for me

5 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see what you have collected. Nice writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Sister Woods! Your talents and endeavors never cease to amaze me :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! So beautiful. Learning about my family is one of my favorite things. It's amazing how much they can teach us.

    ReplyDelete