Thursday, December 1, 2016

How to write stress-free during the Christmas season


The wreaths I made for my office
by Jewel Allen

It was the perfect set-up for that illness that inevitably strikes overachievers before Christmas.  Long days at the computer, late nights already at holiday parties, and a punishing self-imposed deadline. Last night, I came down with a cold and cough. Fortunately, the only thing on my to-do list this morning was delivering rolls (which my husband sweetly bought for me already last night) for a funeral. After sneaking the rolls over in my jammies to the Relief Society president, I went back to bed. It felt good to sleep in. I then spent most of the morning decorating the house for Christmas. By the time two o’clock rolled around, I was ready to tackle edits on my manuscript. I also felt so much better. My fortunately quick recovery inspired me to think of some ways writers can write stress-free through the holidays.

1.Be realistic. It is good to set goals and still keep working on your manuscript so that you don’t lose your momentum. But maybe scaling back on your page or word count is necessary so that you can still check it off your list that day.

2.Spend a morning doing Christmas things. I had the materials to make two small wreaths and hankered to hang them on my double French office doors. I felt kind of guilty that instead of writing, I was channeling Martha Stewart. But I am so glad I did it. That pine scent...mmm. Plus every time I enter my office and sit at my desk, I see this wreath and I am just filled with sensory happiness.

3.Play Christmas music. I know, it’s distracting to write to music with lyrics. Especially Christmas music if you aren't writing something Christmas-y. But Christmas music can also lift your mood. I played music all day today, and it was lovely. It almost made me want to write a Christmas scene into my historical novel just so I can capture the warm and fuzzies of the holiday season. But then, I thought, no more research. Maybe I will just have to write a Christmas novella sometime.

4.Take a break. Give yourself permission to sleep in. Sleep is good. I wasn’t doing NaNoWriMo this year, so I had the luxury of not writing over the Thanksgiving weekend (which technically speaking is the start of the Christmas season). I slept in. Just did things I felt like. It was heavenly as a flannel blanket fresh out of the dryer. When I was ready to tackle my manuscript on Monday, I was raring to go.

5.Go outside. Soak in some sun and fresh air to avoid the dreaded winter blues. Bundle up and take a brisk walk. Make a snowman. Shovel the driveway. You’ll feel better afterwards, I promise.

6.Enjoy your family. My daughter is coming home for Christmas. I am soooo looking forward to it. My writing output will probably go to pot. But that’s okay. Time with family is always worth it. If you still want to write, communicate your goals with your family and make sure you are able to spend some time with them still.

7.Attend parties. Writers are guilty of being hermit-like when it comes to parties. Attend parties and talk to people. Consider the conversations as book research. It is also great for networking. You never know who you might meet. If nothing else, you’ll get to sample all sorts of yummy food.

8.Simplify. On the flipside, don’t feel like you have to attend every single social event, bake a gazillion cookies, or participate in all sorts of charity groups. Pick a few or none and call it good. Everyone else is in slow-down mode. Give yourself permission to scale back, too.

9.Write a gratitude list. I don’t know about you, but last week, the winter blues hit me bad. I felt like all my troubles came down like a bad snowstorm and I couldn’t dig myself out. The antidote: a Family Home Evening spent writing down things we were grateful for. Really, when you look at it, things aren’t as bad as you think. There is so much to be grateful for.

10.Indulge in color and laughter and happiness. We can make Christmas how we want it to be. Christmas can be a chore, or it can be a blessing, depending on how we look at it. Decide now to allow the good things to rise to the top. And that includes our writing.

What a blessing it is to be a writer in this day and age. Years and years ago, someone decided to write the greatest story ever told – the birth of Jesus Christ. So write on, friends, and have a wonderful and blessed Christmas! See you after the holidays!

Jewel Allen is an author and ghostwriter. She has two books out, the paranormal mystery Ghost Moon Night and a political memoir, Soapbox. Visit her at www.jewelallen.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment